I did a ROW-athon
Come row the last leg of the Iditarod with Kenai Crewers Rowing Club. Each team will have to row 77 miles, the same distance from White Mountian to Nome on the Iditarod Trail (that’s 124,000 meters!) Rowers will have to switch off every 1000 meters (about five minutes of rowing). We will start Friday night then take a mandatory overnight rest, then finish on Saturday.
- WHEN: March 9th 6 -10 pm & March 10th 8 am —6 pm
- WHERE: AVTEC - Student Service Center –upper floor
- COST: $100 per Team
- Prizes and FUN: YES and Absolutely!!!
- We are limiting this event to 10 teams so apply early!
- Training will be provided on Friday from 5– 6 pm for those that have not rowed before.
- Babysitting may be provided if needed.
- Event runs Friday March 9th from 6 – 10 pm, then a mandatory overnight rest and begin rowing again on Saturday March 10th between 8 and 9:00 a.m. BUT no later than 9 am. Teams will have until 6 pm to complete the 77 miles (124,000 meters) from White Mountain to Nome. Award Ceremony will follow at 6 pm.
- Training for inexperienced rowers will be held Friday from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- 5 members per team (cost $100 per team)
- Each rower must row 1000 meters, then switch with another rower, each team member must row once before a rower can row again. (So, no rowing 2000 meters in one shot)
- Rowers must wipe down handles with hand sanitizer wipes before they row.
- Each team will be provided a tracker, after each 1000 meter row, the rower will initial their 1000 meters on the tracker and note their time.
- On Saturday March 10th, each team must take a mandatory 1 hour break anytime after the first two hours.
- Each team member will be required to have a small gear bag containing: A bottle of water, a piece of fruit, a protein bar, a small towel and emergency contact information. Items will be checked prior to rowing.
- Additionally, each team must have a gear bag containing: Yoga mat (for stretching), First Aid kit (for blisters), Sleeping bag and Pillow (for resting), Camp Chair (for resting), Flashlight, extra snacks, Hand Sanitizer (wipes are best!).
- A hydration station will be provided for refueling your water supply. Snacks will also be available.